Final Fraxy(name not decided yet)

Share your Fraxy bosses, drones, and TRY files here. You can also show previews here.
Halico
Fraxy God
Fraxy God
Epicness: Is an idiot also genius asdfsadf

Re: Final Fraxy(name not decided yet)

Post by Halico »

Whee.

Scionox
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Rawr
Gold Stars: 1

Post by Scionox »

Played it a couple of times, there's a replay of the second run, though would have done good on the first run but a few issues pretty much making it near impossible to do good on the first run(read below): http://www.mediafire.com/?3a3gpsp926fj5rb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

The major issue i see - lack of worthwhile, at least from what i see, the only points that are gotten are fixed value points and some stage end bonuses, it needs at least some sort of gimmick to make score play more interesting, i suppose, try thinking up something if possible.

Speaking about scoring, do you have a replay on the "developer's high score"?
I am quite interested to see how you got that much, unless i am missing something obvious, i am quite certain that few drones i missed can't be enough to get that much score, could be wrong though.

Now for the stage part, so far, so good, though there are a few issues and suggestions too.
Firstly, i feel like pauses between some of the drones are somewhat too long, though this one may be opinionated, i am just used to the fast paced STG's recently.
Secondly, many drones have way too much health unless you have full bar, like pair of butterfly drones near the start of stage 2, or pair of heavy ships in the middle of second half of it, and a number of smaller drones, though later depends on player ship.
Thirdly, these ships coming from the behind, really need much more warning period and/or slower speed, they are definitely unusual instadeath case.

For the boss/midboss parts, i would mainly suggest making them shorter, even first stage midboss and boss starts feeling too long at times, though that depends on total number of stages you are planning, i suppose.
First boss phase 2 starting attack and second boss's lasers should really have some more warning to it, i suppose, there's really no indication where you need to be on these attacks, and they start too fast to get to the safe zone (case of my deaths in the first run, along with the drone from behind mentioned above).
Projectiles on one of the first boss's and one of the second boss's attacks strangely disappear, is this intended behavior?
Second stage boss's first phase seems to be harder that the other two phases, again, not sure if intended or not considering first boss uses quite opposite behavior.
I am not master on the difficulty balance part, but the attack combination with moving lasers and small parallel projectiles might be needed to be toned down, ramming attack needs to be buffed up(it feels out of place at the moment), and the attack with options out of corners and possibly the options from the top one too needs to be removed or reduced safespots.
The last form's sprite seems to be flying too high on the screen, is this intended?

Now for the graphical part, my suggestion would be making enemies different colors, possibly same for projectiles, since having same in single color is kinda weird.
Player sprite definitely feels out of place with other sprites, i would suggest picking sprites in same style as player for everything, or picking sprite for player in same style as everything.
Stage one's background is somewhat 'too busy', may be just me though.
There's a case of the drawing error on the third butterfly drone's sprite in the stage two, i would suggest fixing that.

Now for the player ships, i have not played them mostly only for first stage first half, with exception of the Cyan Wing which was used in the main run, many of the ships have some of the attacks weirdly underpowered:
Cyan Wing's alternate wide fire seems to do incredibly low damage, not even enough to kill popcorn drones in one hit, and considering that alternate's aimed fire can be used as wide fire, wide fire feels somewhat useless other than reaching enemies 'to the side'.
Blue Rampage's normal wide fire seems to be highly underpowered compared to everything else, unless all options are in nearly same spot.
Green Striker's both normal wide fire and alternate wide fire is, uh, seems to be really not that useful unless going close to the enemy, in which case concentrated fire is usually more useful (quick wholescreen appearing drones in the stage one is the sole exception where it is useful).
I would suggest adding normal, non-full bar bombs and reducing amount of starting lives too.

For sounds, would suggest adding different sounds for different player ships, since in your case they are not quite same, and some major enemy attacks would be nice to have some sounds too.
For music, yeah, menu music is 'eh', but Zaximillian already got that covered i see, other than that would suggest adding more of music that is not borrowed from something else, if possible.

I think that's all suggestions for now, unless i forgot to add something, in which case i may edit this later.
Was known as: <Insert huge list of nicknames i wont ever use again>
Ancient creation list: http://www.fraxyhq.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YouTube Channel: Click
Rawr.

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.

Halico
Fraxy God
Fraxy God
Epicness: Is an idiot also genius asdfsadf

Post by Halico »

Played it a couple of times, there's a replay of the second run, though would have done good on the first run but a few issues pretty much making it near impossible to do good on the first run(read below): http://www.mediafire.com/?3a3gpsp926fj5rb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Will watch later.
The major issue i see - lack of worthwhile, at least from what i see, the only points that are gotten are fixed value points and some stage end bonuses, it needs at least some sort of gimmick to make score play more interesting, i suppose, try thinking up something if possible.
I was thinking of that, but none actually works balanced in the code.
Speaking about scoring, do you have a replay on the "developer's high score"?
I am quite interested to see how you got that much, unless i am missing something obvious, i am quite certain that few drones i missed can't be enough to get that much score, could be wrong though

I have no replays on it, though main reason is because it's tool-assisted perfect run.
Now for the stage part, so far, so good, though there are a few issues and suggestions too.
Firstly, i feel like pauses between some of the drones are somewhat too long, though this one may be opinionated, i am just used to the fast paced STG's recently.
Where is long pause? because there's no pauses if you actually do a pacifist run.
Secondly, many drones have way too much health unless you have full bar, like pair of butterfly drones near the start of stage 2, or pair of heavy ships in the middle of second half of it, and a number of smaller drones, though later depends on player ship.
You know you're not really supposed to kill everything, it's plainly just a bonus if you save the bar to full.
Thirdly, these ships coming from the behind, really need much more warning period and/or slower speed, they are definitely unusual instadeath case.
I could disable their hitbox when entering screen if you want.
For the boss/midboss parts, i would mainly suggest making them shorter, even first stage midboss and boss starts feeling too long at times, though that depends on total number of stages you are planning, i suppose.
I'm planning to have 16 different stages, with 8 of them can be played in a single run, though, for me they aren't really long.
First boss phase 2 starting attack and second boss's lasers should really have some more warning to it, i suppose, there's really no indication where you need to be on these attacks, and they start too fast to get to the safe zone (case of my deaths in the first run, along with the drone from behind mentioned above).
Funny how no one complained about first boss phase 2's first attack, mainly because they're right under the boss already.
Second boss' lasers caused many frustrations, and I think I slowed them down, will slow them down more if needed.
Projectiles on one of the first boss's and one of the second boss's attacks strangely disappear, is this intended behavior?
Both intended.
Second stage boss's first phase seems to be harder that the other two phases, again, not sure if intended or not considering first boss uses quite opposite behavior.
Funny how last 2 phases killed me more than first phase, so I guess it's intended.
I am not master on the difficulty balance part, but the attack combination with moving lasers and small parallel projectiles might be needed to be toned down
It never killed me O_o; So I guess it's just that I got used to the attack, but I do not know how it will be toned down since it's really at minimum projectiles(or those guns in the arms would be obsolete)
ramming attack needs to be buffed up(it feels out of place at the moment)
Funny that attack used to catch EVERY SINGLE PLAYER so I toned it down.
and the attack with options out of corners and possibly the options from the top one too needs to be removed or reduced safespots.
I really should make them harder now.
The last form's sprite seems to be flying too high on the screen, is this intended?
Some player managed to move circles around the ship, removing nearly all difficulty there are, so it's intended.
Now for the graphical part, my suggestion would be making enemies different colors, possibly same for projectiles, since having same in single color is kinda weird.
I would but I'm really bad at pixel art.
Player sprite definitely feels out of place with other sprites, i would suggest picking sprites in same style as player for everything, or picking sprite for player in same style as everything.
Another pixel artist did it, so I'll have to ask.
You should be glad that all the ships look different.
Stage one's background is somewhat 'too busy', may be just me though.
Just you, since first stage background is actually player escaping destruction, would add explosions but then it'll be even busier.
There's a case of the drawing error on the third butterfly drone's sprite in the stage two, i would suggest fixing that.
Will do, but then it will make the pause longer.
Now for the player ships, i have not played them mostly only for first stage first half, with exception of the Cyan Wing which was used in the main run, many of the ships have some of the attacks weirdly underpowered:
I only tested damage on a dummy that doesn't move, so that could be why.
Cyan Wing's alternate wide fire seems to do incredibly low damage, not even enough to kill popcorn drones in one hit, and considering that alternate's aimed fire can be used as wide fire, wide fire feels somewhat useless other than reaching enemies 'to the side'.
Depends, since it was even more useful than focus fire for me.
Blue Rampage's normal wide fire seems to be highly underpowered compared to everything else, unless all options are in nearly same spot.
I just buffed it a lot for this update, but I'm making it more damage chainable (as in right now it fires all 5 blasters at same time, I will change it to make the options fire when the ship or other options' blasters are in cooldown).
Green Striker's both normal wide fire and alternate wide fire is, uh, seems to be really not that useful unless going close to the enemy, in which case concentrated fire is usually more useful (quick wholescreen appearing drones in the stage one is the sole exception where it is useful).
Normal widefire is actually a coverage weapon, so lack of damage is usual (fact:it deals most damage per second on all normal fires if all shots hit).
Hypermode widefire is used for when there's many light drones appearing.
I would suggest adding normal, non-full bar bombs and reducing amount of starting lives too.
Bombs? maybe.
The starting lives isn't really too many, because the extend table, you get a extend at 15000 score, then the next one is around the double of that, so at the end of the game you only have 6~7 earned extends.
For sounds, would suggest adding different sounds for different player ships, since in your case they are not quite same, and some major enemy attacks would be nice to have some sounds too.
Not planning.
For music, yeah, menu music is 'eh', but Zaximillian already got that covered i see, other than that would suggest adding more of music that is not borrowed from something else, if possible.
Only reason menu music is there because it's not copyrighted.
And other musics I would just ask zax all the way.
I think that's all suggestions for now, unless i forgot to add something, in which case i may edit this later.
Make a new post instead.
Whee.

Scionox
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Rawr
Gold Stars: 1

Post by Scionox »

A scoring run with maxed/near maxed(not one hundred percent certain there) score, i suppose, with some annotations as an bonus, would have posted additional suggestions too but we have already discussed them with Dualer in a different chat.
Was known as: <Insert huge list of nicknames i wont ever use again>
Ancient creation list: http://www.fraxyhq.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YouTube Channel: Click
Rawr.

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.