Unique Fraxy Try scoring systems

Talk about anything Fraxy-related here. If you need help with Fraxy or the forums, you can ask here.
Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian
Epicness: Not exactly sure, but perhaps pretty epic.

Unique Fraxy Try scoring systems

Post by Armored Entity »

Hi. I currently need some help with something involving scoring systems in Fraxy Try files. I have decided to put more emphasis into these and less into individual bosses, since Try stages are so much cooler nowadays. I still will work on individual bosses though.

Well currently, I am in need of some ideas for some scoring systems. I noticed that in most Danmaku games, the scoring is more important than progressing through the stages, and often times is the most essential part too. They often times make the scoring more complex than just "destroy enemy, get set number of points," and use a lot of other stuff to make it good too.

Can anyone suggest some good scoring systems to use in a Fraxy Try? I had a few ideas, but I need more in order to make mine good. If you do, also tell me some ideas on how to pull this off in Fraxy, if you can. Try to make them unique, and make them in ways that make them essential to doing good in the game. I am using this in Veneficus Arcanum, as well as some other projects I have planned in the future, and am working on too. If you could lend a hand here, this would really help.
I would like to ask a favor from for anyone who is my friend here.
If someday we meet in person in the near future, and I had recently done anything that would confirm that I had become a Brony (which as of now I am not one), such as if I had posted on a Pony-related fan-site, drawn a Pony-themed artwork, contributed to a Pony fanfic, or anything else along those lines. If I have done anything like that, I want you to punch me in the face without warning. This make sound like I'm joking, but I am absolutely serious about this. Ignore any future statements retracting this if I ever make any. Though if you do, please first confirm that it is me who is doing it, and not some Brony who is posing as me and wants to see me get punched. I do not wish to go down the path of the Bronies, and hopefully those of you reading this will help me so that it stays that way, if god forbid I ever even attempt it.
Thank you.

Scionox
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Rawr
Gold Stars: 1

Re: Unique Fraxy Try scoring systems

Post by Scionox »

'Rack it up' scoring system wrote:Stage part:
1. Enemies have a (small) fixed point value.
2. Hitting an enemy with primary fire will give a score based on a fixed point value, up to five times in a row, also fixed point score*2 is given when enemy is killed.
3. Player can switch between normal primary fire and 'Racking' fire with X, this fire mode is much weaker than normal mode.
4. Hitting an enemy with 'Racking' fire will increase multiplier of an enemy that has been hit, but only if he is less than halfway through it's path, switching to normal fire will quickly decrease that multiplier.
5. If enemy has been killed with 'Racking' fire when more than halfway through it's path, it drops a powerup which temporarily increases power of the 'Racking' fire. Picking up multiple powerups in a row is cumulative, but it don't increases the timeout of powerup.
6. Killing or hitting an enemy with normal fire while it has multiplier will multiply the score gotten from enemy by multiplier, before adding that to the player score.
7. Player has special 'aura' bar on the UI, which starts out empty, it increases whenever enemy is hit with normal fire, and will slowly decrease when using 'Racking' fire.
8. When the bar is full, player can use C to release the aura, which will empty the bar and will 'freeze' multiplier values of the all enemies of the screen, and will multiply the multiplier of the enemies that are very close to the player by 2, also it will temporarily powerup normal fire, and optionally bullet cancel at the time of activation.
9. Dying will empty the bar, turn off the powerups and will set multiplier of all enemies on the screen to 1.
Boss part:
1. Boss has fixed point value.
2. Destroying major part of boss or phase will add that fixed point value to score.
3. Same as 3 in stage mode, but 'Racking' fire actually does more damage to the boss than normal fire.
4. Hitting the part of enemy with 'Racking' fire will increase it's multiplier, but only during certain attacks, this multiplier will rapidly decrease after that attack ends.
5. Destroying major part of boss or phase which has multiplier will multiply that by multiplier, before adding that to the player score, additionally, destroying the phase while all it's parts are on very low health will combine their multipliers for even more score, though it can be situational which method will give more score depending on the phase.
6. Same as 7 in stage part.
7. Same as 8 in stage part, only instead of 'freezing' values it will deal direct damage to the nearest phase's parts(while still multiplying their multiplier by 2).
8. Same as 9 in stage part.
9. The multiplier of the whole boss destruction starts out at some value, and decreases over time, so destroying boss quickly should potentially give more score than maximally racking up the multiplier of all parts and phases.
Note: this is a random idea off the top of my head and it's highly experimental, though without practicing around with said system in the game itself i can't say how good or bad it is, considering there might be possible exploits depending on how game handles things in the first place, it might require some changes once it's built and tested.
Was known as: <Insert huge list of nicknames i wont ever use again>
Ancient creation list: http://www.fraxyhq.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YouTube Channel: Click
Rawr.

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian

Post by Armored Entity »

Hmm, might work. Although in some of my Try projects, such as Veneficus Arcanum, the secondary is abour equally strong, and changes things differently, such as firing direction and such. So a weaker "racking fire" won't work here.
I might be able to use the Aura thing though. Heck, maybe there would be a way where Aura also powers you up, it could also add a benefit such as a temporary shield or an attack power increase or something. However, the Aura would not be as effectively used unless it is used for scoring mainly, despite this. Dunno if that would be well, but maybe. I'll need a good way to add this in a Try file though. I especially don't know how to make it increase when using Racking fire.

I also had an idea that enemies would give more points if you destroy them at a closer range. Like taking them out from far away gives low points, but taking them out closer gives more, and you get way bigger points for destroying enemies at near point-blank range, which of course is riskier. I got the idea from Ketsui. However, I think this idea has some flaws as for it might be too easy to abuse, and isn't that complex.

Also I had one where certain enemies/bosses (especially Stage 1 and 2 ones), will have certain parts on them that can be destroyed before taking out the whole enemy. If you destroy them first before finishing it off, it will give more points than just taking it out normally (the extra parts won't give points if you don't destroy them first), and also sometimes make the enemy easier too. I thought this would be good to implement as well, but however, lacks complexity and challenge to it.

Any other ideas guys?
Last edited by Armored Entity on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If someday we meet in person in the near future, and I had recently done anything that would confirm that I had become a Brony (which as of now I am not one), such as if I had posted on a Pony-related fan-site, drawn a Pony-themed artwork, contributed to a Pony fanfic, or anything else along those lines. If I have done anything like that, I want you to punch me in the face without warning. This make sound like I'm joking, but I am absolutely serious about this. Ignore any future statements retracting this if I ever make any. Though if you do, please first confirm that it is me who is doing it, and not some Brony who is posing as me and wants to see me get punched. I do not wish to go down the path of the Bronies, and hopefully those of you reading this will help me so that it stays that way, if god forbid I ever even attempt it.
Thank you.

Ex-Rumia
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Getting there.
Gold Stars: 0

Post by Ex-Rumia »

Why is scoring important again? I thought gameplay was more important.
Formerly Haku1201.
Current Fraxy Projects:
F-Gradius
Project SH

Now known as a compulsive core abuser.

DC Universe Persona Names
Hero: Marietta Durge
Villian: Voivouire

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian

Post by Armored Entity »

Read this and see for yourself --> http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/1192.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, usually the scoring is more important as for you usually are trying to build up a high-score in it. Plus, you get free 1-ups for obtaining a certain score, and you'll want plenty of those, right? There's also many other reasons why the scoring is a big part.

Also I had this other idea that was good, but I do not know how to implement it in-game. Also I still think there should be at least 1 Player-Weapon based scoring system. This one is much more complex though.

For this other idea I had, the game would feature a Rank system, similar to that in Battle Garegga, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu (with the Reddo Gauge), or Hellsinker. By doing good, your rank goes up and the game gets increasingly harder, and inversely, doing bad reduces your rank and makes it easier. However, having High Rank also increases the score you get for doing stuff, and having low rank makes your score lower, so you want to either try to balance your rank, or survive the increased difficulty in order to get high points. This one I think would be hard to make in Fraxy, but it still might be possible, and it's also very complex and challenging. Might be one of my better ideas.

I just wish Fraxy would have a way to make enemies drop those little coins/stars/whatever that you collect in most Danmaku games for score (and can sometimes make them fly right into your ship if you do it right), or had an option to allow you to gain points for "grazing" an enemy shot. That would make this so much more easier.

Any other scoring system ideas?
Thank you.

Scionox
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Rawr

Post by Scionox »

Ex-Rumia wrote:Why is scoring important again? I thought gameplay was more important.
Gameplay and scoring are equally important, and i am not going to state everything again, since i think i already did in the fraxy discussion thread, so let's not derail this thread please, it's not about 'why', it's about 'which'.
Armored Entity wrote:Hmm, might work. Although in some of my Try projects, such as Veneficus Arcanum, the secondary is abour equally strong, and changes things differently, such as firing direction and such. So a weaker "racking fire" won't work here.
Well, you have not stated anything about that in the OP, so sorry for a idea that will not work in your project, i suppose, i would suggest adding information on that into the OP if possible.
I might think up another one later, if i will have interesting ideas.
Was known as: <Insert huge list of nicknames i wont ever use again>
Ancient creation list: http://www.fraxyhq.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YouTube Channel: Click
Rawr.

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian

Post by Armored Entity »

I suppose we should keep posting more scoring system ideas here too. I think this could help other people's Try projects out too, and not just my own. Post any ones you think would be good to see in a Fraxy Try project. Maybe someone else might benefit from it, like Zarro or Xeil for example.
Besides, Veneficus Arcanum isn't my only one. There are others I am working on, that the other ideas could possibly benefit from instead.

Currently I am now out of ideas for unique scoring systems. Any more you can think of?
Thank you.

SnipeHeart
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Your mom

Post by SnipeHeart »

Dr. Roboevil wrote:-Snip on Scoring System-
SPIDER: That's way too complicated to appeal to me in any way.

MM: I'd say go with the relatively simple "Not dying + Killing Enemies = Higher Multiplier" thing. That's strictly my opinion, though. I'm a simple person, so it'd appeal to me without having to worry about all that hoopla in SPIDER's system, but to each their own. Also keep in mind that I could not care less about score in general, I normally focus on gameplay, which normally, for me, means being a try hard just to make it past stage 3, because I suck at most shmups I've ever played.. (Again, my opinion. Doesn't have to be everyone's.)