Where to start?

Talk about anything Fraxy-related here. If you need help with Fraxy or the forums, you can ask here.
ceci
Normal User
Normal User

Where to start?

Post by ceci »

I have been playing curtain fire games for about a year now and can say that I've become quite adept at playing them. When I was looking at some curtain fire videos I stumbled across [Primitive] Exception so I tried it out and it was cool, the controls were most definitely innovative and different from any curtain fire I've ever played. Then a thumbnail caught my eye so I clicked it and it took me to FRAXY. I was like, okay, pretty cool. Lets try it out! I read up about it to find out it is an open-ended, customizable curtain fire and was actually lead to use the words 'mind-blown'. I don't know, maybe I've been living under a rock but this is utterly amazing to me and I feel a new addiction coming on.

But where to start?

I figured I'll mess around with the controls, shoot around at some of the pre-constructed enemies that came with it, go on some TRY runs and whatnot but eventually I'm going to want to get down and dirty and start making my own stuff. You were all new to this game at one point so of course you guys know the best route I should take to doing so. Point me out to some guides, tutorials, etc.

Will my art/writing skills have anything to do with this? I'm a pretty great artist/writer, if I say so myself, and it'd be absolutely awe-inspiring and extremely motivating if I found out I could use these skills to create pieces to a playable puzzle. (I've seen a few videos with story line to them so I figure that can somehow be implemented into the game.)

There is a lot more I'd like to figure out but I want to get the basics out of the way first to see if knowing more about how this software works will also enlighten me as I go along.
Last edited by ceci on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

SnipeHeart
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Your mom
Gold Stars: 1

Re: Where to start?

Post by SnipeHeart »

People learn things there own way. Some people learn better by tearing things apart that were pre-made on other bosses, and some others learn best by just opening the editor, messing around with things, and then using that experience from messing around (Which is the category I fall under), kind of like how a random doodle on a piece of paper can turn into a full scale drawing sometimes. (That's another thing that can be beneficial. If you want to make something in Fraxy, make a drawing or something similar of it, and then give it a shot in the editor.)

There's a few Fraxy Tutorials here and there.
Here's the beginning of one on Youtube.

There's also a bunch of tutorials in this (The Discussion and Help) sub-forum, so you can read through that, if you want, too.

Hope this helps. :V

ceci
Normal User
Normal User

Post by ceci »

Looks like I ain't sleeping tonight!

Thanks for the fast responses~

Xeilumardrox
Epicness: Contradictory
Gold Stars: 5

Post by Xeilumardrox »

You can start by any way you want. You can make your own graphics for the game and stuff, or if you want, you can play around with the editor and config to create things. I suggest you to play around with the editor as much as you can and try to learn as much of the functions of it before looking at other people's sample bosses (which you can find on youtube).
As for story writing, you can implement it into a TRY once you get into that, but TRYs should probably be concentrated on a bit later, unless you're an expert at programming and is/or are able to adapt to a simple programming language really quickly. (There's a help file for it though.)

If you need any help or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. ;)
Current Fraxy Projects:
MoSF XVIII - Desire, FraxyHQ Try Project

Annoyance Points: 0/5 *RESET*

Formerly known as Vortexreaper and Scytheradrox...

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.

AlexMdle
Administrator
Administrator
Epicness: micro skills

Post by AlexMdle »

I'd say bosses in fraxy are more than about pretty graphics. Designing a boss is more about atmosphere and aesthetics of the fight and the greatest are such precisely because of the latter.

I'd suggest experimenting around in fraxy. As long as you have fun working on something while actually challenging your knoweldge of the engine, you can't go wrong.
Now under new management.