pyFraxy?

Make a poll and have other users answer it!

Cloning Fraxy?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 9

Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member
Gold Stars: 4

pyFraxy?

Post by Garoslaw »

It's been seven years where Mon has been developing Fraxy, and it shows by the sheer amount of content made by the people who found this tool. I think it's a marvelous tool, and something people really should take an example from. Sadly, the major issues tied mainly with performance and not the most user-friendly editor interface, hindered on it's capabilities.
What's this about?
The main idea is cloning Fraxy using Python, the programming language. The first step, and the most important one, is asking Mon for permission. After that, small steps would be made to actually make this a thing.

Cool. What's the difference?
To answer that, I'll first point out the benefits tied with cloning Fraxy:
  • Completely Open Source: Many people will be able to contribute, allowing quicker bugfixes, and new stuff to be implemented.
  • Broader Compatibility: This would mean support not only for Windows, but Linux and Mac as well.
  • OpenGL: With this to aid a lot of things would change! Like scaling!
There are a few cons that might occur, though:
  • Performance: Python is not a low level language, meaning that it might affect performance. In a worst-case scenario, it would either run as well as Fraxy itself, or maybe be a bit slower. Would need someone to clarify that.
It might just be possible for more programs to be added in the future, such as a TRY editor, Player Ship editor, or even an Interface editor!

So. We should discuss this.
:yap:

SnipeHeart
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Your mom
Gold Stars: 1

Re: pyFraxy?

Post by SnipeHeart »

I already told you what I thought about it - I'm fine with it if Mon gives you permission to do this.

The Phantom
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by The Phantom »

How about rather than just cloning Fraxy, you develop your own game engine with similar features (ex. user-made bosses, stages, etc.)
Current Status: Sleep deprived. Also, back.

Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Garoslaw »

That's something if Mon didn't allow cloning Fraxy. Then the only difference will be the fact that you wouldn't be able to play all the fraxy bosses.

Plus, if I were given a flowchart, I would get to know better how all the things work.

TheBlueEcho
VIP Member
VIP Member
Epicness: So Epic

Post by TheBlueEcho »

That probably would be the only drawback. That you couldn't use Fraxy's content or parse external user-created content. Although, I side with Phantom on that why would you want to do that, when you really just want to emulate the features and extend/revise upon them to suit the communities liking.

Other than that, there shouldn't be any issue at all with making clone. People make clones of stuff all the time and if it's open source who's to complain.

Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Garoslaw »

My main aim is to make Fraxy work better, and given that it's HSP Fraxy was written on, it will surely run better. I would like to keep my mind reserved for that, and the option of making a different engine entirely an option whenever Mon wouldn't allow this to happen.

Scionox
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Rawr

Post by Scionox »

Rawr, even though i've said it before on steam, supporting this whether it's going to be fraxy-compat or not.
Was known as: <Insert huge list of nicknames i wont ever use again>
Ancient creation list: http://www.fraxyhq.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YouTube Channel: Click
Rawr.

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.

The Phantom
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by The Phantom »

Perhaps this needs its' own actual topic now, as opposed to just a poll, with a list of project members, status, etc.
Current Status: Sleep deprived. Also, back.