ALTERED REALITY - General System Discussion

Talk about other video games here.
ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Gold Stars: 21

Re: ALTERED REALITY - General System Discussion

Post by ZarroTsu »

Okay, so a recap on the weapons and the three bars/stats.

BALANCE (first bar/number) is the correlative to accuracy with the weapon/magic. The higher it is, the heavier a weapon you can use while still retaining a high hit%. Additionally, the base hit% is identical to the balance level itself. It is raised through attacking normally, by using skills, or by being hit while defending.

AGILITY (second bar/number) is the correlative to evasion. The base % is 2/3 the agility level itself. It is raised through avoiding attacks, or by being hit while defending.

SKILL (third bar/number) is the correlative to critical hits. The base % is 1/3 the skill level itself. It is raised at a slow, fixed rate by attacking normally, and much more so if you land a successful critical hit, or by being hit while defending.

Magic is raised in these three ways as well, including critical hits. However, while weapon skills only take weapon weight into account, Magic takes both your weapon weight AND armor weight into account. While it is entirely possible to be a successful mage in a full set of plate mail, dual wielding Dwarven axes; actually getting to this point is another story entirely.

As for how the base and max percents work, it's sort of a general success range. While you might start out with a 1-99% hit rate, that just means you have anywhere between a 1% and a 99% chance to hit something. Although it averages to be more along the lines of 75% in that case, as the maxhit is used twice in the calculation.

Something else I did was force it so you can only level up once at most. Any excess experience is removed entirely. This is to prevent grinding for years to get your weapon skill to level 99 in one fight.

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

Alright, I changed it up a little.

First off, crit and eva maxes have been swapped at base value. Crit now maxes at a [##-66%], while eva maxes at [##-33%].

However, with a shield equipped, this swaps back to the above post's idea, in that eva is 2/3 and crit is 1/3. In fact, with TWO shields equipped, your eva is a full 3/3 of the skill!

...However, Hit% and Crit% are then reduced to 0 if you're dual-wielding shields.

Don't be fooled, though; balance and skill with a shield is still important and used, however they only apply to single-shield use. But this could easily be exploited so that you raise shield agility to a fair level asap, and then let it 'bleed' into the other weapon agility uses.

Still, this is up to the player's decision whether or not he wants to play the game 'normally', or exploit the weapon system like a tool. Regardless, I did this to include shields in the loop, as you really can't attack anything with one.

I mean you CAN, but... Well, we'll just call it the only thing the game doesn't allow (Unless everyone RADICALLY wants shields to be applicable weapon choices). Sorry. ._.;

EDIT: Dual-Shielders ALSO suffer a reduced max-magic-hit%. From [##-99%] down to [##-66%].
Last edited by ZarroTsu on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MintE
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Epicness: Walrus
Gold Stars: Walrus

Post by MintE »

dammit, and I wanted to run into battle screaming whilst bashing enemies faces in with my shield.

But in all seriousness, for some reason I thought shields would summon things.

I wonder why
Who am I kidding!? I'm a terrible person

SnipeHeart
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Your mom
Gold Stars: 1

Post by SnipeHeart »

I wouldn't mind being silly and beating something to death with a shield like the impractical person I yearn to be.

Scionox
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Rawr
Gold Stars: 1

Post by Scionox »

Needs more throwable shields
Was known as: <Insert huge list of nicknames i wont ever use again>
Ancient creation list: http://www.fraxyhq.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YouTube Channel: Click
Rawr.

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.

ShadowSpectre
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Epicness: Mr Self Destruct
Gold Stars: One. But really pretty.

Post by ShadowSpectre »

Rex Cavalier wrote:Needs more throwable shields
Out for lunch. Return uncertain.

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

AlexMdle
Administrator
Administrator
Epicness: micro skills

Post by AlexMdle »

Add disarm skill to some enemies :V
Now under new management.

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

Items have an info choice/window now. Regular items will show HP/MP and state recoveries. Weapons and armor show elemental attack/defense types, as well as the obvious equipment/stat effects. Additionally, the bottom will yield one, or more, of the four available extra options for weapons/armors. (Weapons have a different 4 than armors do)

Weapons also show what weapon type they are in the top right corner, to prevent player confusion. ("What do scythes count as??")