Talk about other video games here.
ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Gold Stars: 21

ALTERED REALITY - General System Discussion

Post by ZarroTsu »

So let's try this again.

This is a topic for discussing the general system structure of the RPG-in-design. For Character discussions, go HERE. For story discussions, go HERE. For enemy discussions, go HERE.

One of the more frustrating aspects of RMVX is the scripts. You can do a lot with them, but the problem is learning precisely HOW. Tiny things can be split up across several sections, and hunting everything down to make something work is exceptionally frustrating, and discouraging. With that in mind, let's continue.

ALTERED REALITY, FLOOPYWOOPYHOOHAWHEY!!

You totally thought I totally deleted it, because I totally didn't lie. But it turns out I did lie, thrice-fold, like a triple facepalm combo of self-loathing. AR STILL EXISTS! And it's just as shitty as it was when I left it.

I've been thinking about trying to work on the thing again, but the problem is the scripting. I've some ideas that I want to get added, but actually adding them would prove tedious as shit.

This topic is to discuss AR's actual system, and not the actual story or characters or whatever else. Bitch about that elsewhere.

========
========

This is a discussion topic of the above. If you have any ideas for addition, feel free to make them, but don't expect them to be included unless outstanding.

It would also be greatly appreciated if someone who knows how to script this chaos could do so for me. Because, you know, that would be helpful.

I am also looking for people to redo the graphics. In-battle Monsters, character sprites and faces, and if required, the tilesets as well. No more of that rtp or 'character builder' bullshit.

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Re: ALTERED REALITY - General System Discussion

Post by ZarroTsu »

Seeing as I typed up the new stats AFTER writing out the things above...
I will likely do all of these in script form directly (that is to say, not actually reading from the database).

Balance, Agility and Skill are weapon specific. I don't know how this will be raised yet, but it will likely be kill-specific or similar.

Basically each of these weapon types gets the 3 stats, possible to each hand (a total of 6).
It would be similar to Final Fantasy 2's weapon system, only with a multitude of effects rather than just "Become better with x weapon". For those of you who have never played final fantasy 2, I can't find the GBA version's status screen to save my life! Here's the NES one, though:

The more specific part to the influence is the bottom third. Only without the whole 'suck' part.

Of course that's up for debate too, how precisely weapon proficiency should level up...

MintE
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Epicness: Walrus
Gold Stars: Walrus

Post by MintE »

It would be pretty cool if you could have weapons work very much like they do in Disgaea.

Of course, that isn't really what you are asking for now is it?

Also, I can go mess around with scripting and see if it gets me anywhere, not promising anything though.
Who am I kidding!? I'm a terrible person

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

UPDATE:

The five stats on the left are thrown through some math and plopped out on the right, where they are used by the game for damage. Granted, I may be inclined to make this more complex in the future, but it's a start.

In the future I'll probably find a way to compact that exp count to a small bar, and then alight all the stats to the left half of the screen, whereas the right half will keep track of weapon skill.

AlexMdle
Administrator
Administrator
Epicness: micro skills

Post by AlexMdle »

*Tilts head*

May be some nitpicking, but do you intend to leave the menu screen layout the way it is?
(Boring blue rectangle)

Even a solid black screen would look better imo.
Now under new management.

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

I intend on replacing the backdrop graphic with something more stylistic than 'blue gradient background with a white border' eventually.

And when I put down the weapon exp on the right, it will be in its own window, to look a little less boring.

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

The weapon exp just reads off of normal battle exp atm. I can change this fairly easily, but I don't know how it should be raised yet.

Any suggestions?

Infinity's End
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness:
Gold Stars:

Post by Infinity's End »

How about gaining XP for a weapon based on how often you used it in battle?

Ex. Get XP for using skills that use the weapon, such as a regular attack, or an aimed shot, or getting hit while using a shield.

Firefox11
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Epicness: Lacks epicness.

Post by Firefox11 »

Unsure that FFII system (what you are describing, more or less) is useful at all, due to the possibilities to exploit it.

However, you could make all enemies give out a base 'Equip Experience Points' or similar, and each character gets a bonus on the equipment depending on the use in battle (like a fix on the FFII system). For instance:

- Party fights 3 weak mobs that die in one hit.
- Char1 kills one mob with a sword, Char2 blocks a mob hit with a shield, Char4 gets hurt by a mob, Char3 blows up the two remaining mobs with a spell.
- All party receives 100 XP and 20 EquipXP. We'll assume Char1 is carrying two swords; Char2 a shield and an axe; Char3 a bow (two-handed); Char 4 a staff and a shield: Char1 would get +40 EquipXP on Swords (20XP * 2); Char2 would get +20 EquipXP on both Axe and Shield; Char3 would get +20 EquipXP on Bow; Char4 would get +20 EquipXP on Blunt.
- Char1 gets a bonus +6XP (+1XP per hit, +5XP per kill) on Sword, Char2 gets a bonus +10XP on Shield (assuming shields don't always block attacks, the bonus XP on blocked attack should be high), Char4 receives no bonus XP on equips.
- Char3's bonus +12XP would go to Magic. If this system is used, I'd recommend making Magic not receive the regular EquipXP, but only on use. Also, make defensive skills have a flat ammount per use (say, +5 Magic XP per heal, independently of targets affected by it.)

Assuming each level will be harder to level up, it would still be possible to do the FFII exploit (remain in an easy area to gain quick stat boosts), but assuming each mob gives out scaled XP/EquipXP depending on the difficulty, the time required to exploit the system makes it kind of pointless. In fact (unsure if possible), making it so the mob XP/EquipXP diminishes every level the player has over the 'mob danger level' and eventually reaching zero would make this problem disappear. For instance, make it so each level the player has over the 'danger level' makes the mob give -10%XP/-20%EquipXP (0XP 10 levels over; 0EquipXP 5 levels over) - it should work the other way too, but perhaps tweaked to half as much 'bonus' to prevent mass-leveling on an exploitable mob (+5%XP/+10%EquipXP per level the mob has over the player, capped at +50% for both values).

I don't know if I made sense ~_~

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

I accidentally the whole weapon system.

(exp still a wip)