ALTERED REALITY - General System Discussion

Talk about other video games here.
ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Gold Stars: 21

Re: ALTERED REALITY - General System Discussion

Post by ZarroTsu »

So, change of plans on the overworld layout.

Ever played RoboTrek? It was a fun little game for the SNES, and really should be played. Make your own robots, deck them in weapons, etc. Fun times.

So the overworld in this game took a different approach, similar to that of Super Mario World:

You wouldn't be able to goto a new location unless you knew about it and/or were required to go there by whatever the plot dictated as a reason. But the way I figure, this would probably be a much better world map function than just plain "Wander until you find your destination", because that method is rather overused.

Overworld random encounters might still exist, but finite paths between locations would be given to route the player where they can go. Which is sort of the function of the overworld ANYWAY, so I may as well make it simple.

Firefox11
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Epicness: Lacks epicness.

Post by Firefox11 »

YAAAAY ROBOTREK !

I don't think I ever finished it, but loved the shit out of that thing. Specially bombs, no matter how much energy they drained.

MintE
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Epicness: Walrus
Gold Stars: Walrus

Post by MintE »

I like the idea. Too many RPGs use the pseudo-open world design. I think that a Robotrek inspired design would be really neat.

I also really like the overall aesthetic of that screenshot.

Also, seeing as I've never played Robotrek before, how much emphasis on exploration will be used on the overworld? For example, are you going to have secret areas (ala Super Mario World)? Or is it going to more so rely on the levels themselves?

Anyways, good work Zarro. If you need anything just ask.
Who am I kidding!? I'm a terrible person