Reverting Forum

Make a poll and have other users answer it!

topic

Poll ended at Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 am

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 15

Infinity's End
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness:
Gold Stars:

Re: Reverting Forum

Post by Infinity's End »

The only one who noticed it was you.

We still need a lead of 2.

Concept
Fraxy Beginner
Fraxy Beginner
Epicness: Video games

Post by Concept »

I'd like to hear arguments from the people that voted. Clearly they feel strong enough to vote but no one is mentioning why they don't like the new layout or why they don't like the old one. I think the old layout had a lot of superfluous sections, downright misleading sections, and very strange organization. I don't see what there is even in a new layout to dislike.

Infinity's End
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness:
Gold Stars:

Post by Infinity's End »

Before the change, we had (for example) separate sections for Music, Video Games, etc.

And now every single topic is shoved into one section, with complete disregard for subforums.

Concept
Fraxy Beginner
Fraxy Beginner

Post by Concept »

I fail to see how that is a downside. Those sections had so little traffic. The readability is the exact same. Except now, maybe if you were checking for music threads, you have a chance to see other things that might catch your interest and encourage further discussion. Its also just a lot cleaner this way. It'd be one thing if you merged high traffic sections into one, or sections that absolutely require separation but that isn't the case here.

Edit: Which sub-forum hasn't been accounted for? the only sub-forum in that section was parts graphics under GFX. Which was actaully entirely in the wrong section. Since apparently GFX was still about fraxy and parts graphics is clearly about fraxy thus both belong in the fraxy section. Going by how they had handful, if that, of posts each, they can be merged. I will admit that they don't current have an area that they belong to. I'm under the impression that the new layout isn't finished yet or that I'm looking at some awful attempt at trying to revert it, evidenced by the 0 topic/reply sections that are legacy sections.

Infinity's End
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness:
Gold Stars:

Post by Infinity's End »

By "complete disregard" I mean all MintE here had to do was put them under one forum, with each section (ex. Music, Video Games) as a subforum.

And I did try to revert it, but it turns out that backups don't work in the slightest. All it did was set the displayed SB messages to a few in 2010 for some godawful reason.

Concept
Fraxy Beginner
Fraxy Beginner

Post by Concept »

That would defeat the entire point of the restructuring effort. The point was to merge them. Sub-forums like that is just stupid. Doing so would be worse than leaving it as is because all it would do is add an extra click in navigating.
The poll doesn't even make sense as it is, thinking about it. Since this current layout isn't the layout mint was trying to push. Everyone knows the old layout but only the people that were around for the brief period of time the new layout was up know what that looks like. I had already talked to Mint about layouts so I knew this current layout wasn't the one that was being polled about but that doesn't mean everyone voting knows that.

Infinity's End
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness:
Gold Stars:

Post by Infinity's End »

I still stand by my statement that MintE should have finished the new layout (and checking with the other admins) before setting it up.

Concept
Fraxy Beginner
Fraxy Beginner

Post by Concept »

That's fine. Its a moot point now, as the layout has already been changed. Its also entirely irrelevant to the conversation.

Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member
Gold Stars: 4

Post by Garoslaw »

I like the Concept of Sub-Forums in here
It makes the topics nice and tidy without any confusion.
:yap:

MintE
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Epicness: Walrus
Gold Stars: Walrus

Post by MintE »

Concept wrote:I fail to see how that is a downside. Those sections had so little traffic. The readability is the exact same. Except now, maybe if you were checking for music threads, you have a chance to see other things that might catch your interest and encourage further discussion. Its also just a lot cleaner this way. It'd be one thing if you merged high traffic sections into one, or sections that absolutely require separation but that isn't the case here.

Edit: Which sub-forum hasn't been accounted for? the only sub-forum in that section was parts graphics under GFX. Which was actaully entirely in the wrong section. Since apparently GFX was still about fraxy and parts graphics is clearly about fraxy thus both belong in the fraxy section. Going by how they had handful, if that, of posts each, they can be merged. I will admit that they don't current have an area that they belong to. I'm under the impression that the new layout isn't finished yet or that I'm looking at some awful attempt at trying to revert it, evidenced by the 0 topic/reply sections that are legacy sections.
GFX, as I already explained, belongs to the General Fraxy Discussion. Well, the fraxy side of it. The regular image side obviously goes into the Media Center.

EDIT: Also most of you (IE) seem to be misinterpreting what I meant by "not done". All I meant is that I simply wasn't finished with the change when your highness logged on (if you'll notice, not all the threads are tagged. I was taking a break. You try changing a shitton of forum threads and not want a break). And of course, after the whole debacle I was never able to finish the change.

And again, I stand by my reasoning. I changed it when I did solely because it was such a massive change (the forums are different now that's for certain). I wanted to make sure everyone truly understood what I was about to do. So I did it. Explain by example I believe it's called.

Of course your highness logged on and threw an almighty shit-storm to shake even the gods off their thrones (!). And obviously this threw a monkey wrench into my plans.
Who am I kidding!? I'm a terrible person