A Sprite Comic thing...

Show us graphics, music and writing that you've done, whether you're putting it in Fraxy or not.
Evil_Nazgul0616
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Epicness: ⑨√⑨^⑨

A Sprite Comic thing...

Post by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

For some reason I decided to share a Sprite Comic I've been working on over the past few months. This, as well as Yuyuko of the Netherworld and Source Filmmaker have been my primary distractions from Fraxy recently (that's why I haven't been as active or made any new bosses over the past few months.)

EDIT: Due to numerous complaints about the font, I restarted the comic from scratch and moved the original 44 to a separate chapter.

Before I put up the link there are a few things you should understand.
1. It's a Touhou sprite comic. If you don't like Touhou, then you don't have to read it. Flaming/trolling will be frowned upon.
2. There are only 4 "main" strips so far, but that number is increasing. I try to make updates every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
4. If you are giving feedback, I will not change anything (i.e. reupload) unless there is something horrendously wrong with it.
5. I'm using primarily MSpaint to make this, and I have time constraints (I have to juggle working on this around with other projects (like Fraxy) and daily life things.), so please don't comment on the speech bubble quality.
6. I'm relatively new to this, so I don't know if you would think it's good or not.
7. The first 44 strips seem bad due to an unsatisfactory font choice. They are placed in a separate chapter from the main comic.

Here's the link: http://magichronicles.smackjeeves.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -Go ahead and laugh at me. Enjoy.
New version begins here: http://magichronicles.smackjeeves.com/c ... new-comic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Past plotlines/arcs:
Current plotline/arc:
Last edited by Evil_Nazgul0616 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The geography that I stands compares you superior" -Ratio Tile, Star War: Backstroke Of The West

Dabir
Administrator
Administrator
Gold Stars: 4

Re: A Sprite Comic that No One On This Forum is Going to Car

Post by Dabir »

I used to comic with MSPaint. My speech bubbles didn't look like ass, just put the tiniest little bit of effort into them and you can make them look really good. Put a black border around them, make sure there's at least one pixel of white between the border and the text, use a triangle to join them to your characters instead of just one thick line and for the love of god, don't use comic sans.

Evil_Nazgul0616
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Dabir wrote:...for the love of god, don't use comic sans.
Exactly what is so bad about comic sans? It's not like I'm using something unreadable.
"The geography that I stands compares you superior" -Ratio Tile, Star War: Backstroke Of The West

The Phantom
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by The Phantom »

Evil_Nazgul0616 wrote:
Dabir wrote:...for the love of god, don't use comic sans.
Exactly what is so bad about comic sans? It's not like I'm using something unreadable.
Comic sans is shit.
Current Status: Sleep deprived. Also, back.

ShadowHunter
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: ۞

Post by ShadowHunter »

whatisthisidonteven
۞

Dabir
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dabir »

Comic sans just looks terrible. Use something that's clean and simple, investigate the fonts on your computer. Also, I'd recommend turning up the font size a notch or two. If you can't fit in all your dialogue, that's probably an indication that you should be using fewer words.

AlexMdle
Administrator
Administrator
Epicness: micro skills

Post by AlexMdle »

Comic sans' main claim to (in)fame is that it's literally the worst font. It's the font you use when you deliberately want to remove all sense of competence from whatever work you do. Nobody takes anything written in comic sans seriously, it died when netscape and annoying flashing gifs did, because people realized how awful it was. No webcomic Ive ever read used it, including the really bad ones - they had dignity.

In addition, the title of this thread is grating me. It sounds defeatist, like you don't really care what our opinion on it is going to be, however, then I get inside and realize it as a dA-grade pity hook. You don't get to write down a list of demands from the readers when showing something off, especially if you label it as a 'fire and forget' kind of content, you can adjust their expectations, but shit like 'I wont listen to your feedback', is a deadly sin.

We are the readers, we're the customers, we don't have to deal with it, you do. If you don't want feedback, then don't post stuff.

I'm not saying this because Im angry, I just want you to understand that shit doesn't work that way.

And now, because I literally have nothing better to do right now, here's to running that list down into the core of the earth:

1. I can deal with it, I don't care about Touhou one way or the other. But I imagine if you posted it in a community where it's actively hated, the people would overrule you with a ruler slap to the mouth.

2. Hey, you know, I'm going to write a comic about that thing you might like or not and going to be wildly off with the characterization. What? It's awful, well you're shit out of luck then, shitlord. My comic, my totalitarian state.

3. No problem here.

4. In other words, cba to update.

5. Why is mspaint an automatical no-no for speech bubbles. Dabir said it, they don't have to look like ass, even there. And you coud always, you know, switch to other software? Paint.net, etc?

6. This is an understandable concern and I'm taking it into consideration. This is literally the only thing that should have been in this list at all.

7. This implies it gets better, which it won't if you refuse to listen to feedback. And sofar the indication is 'it likely won't'.

8. Is crossover a good idea, a bad idea, too early, too predictable? Consult a writer instead of cementing that in. I know this advice is not of use atm, but consider it for the future.
Now under new management.

Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member

The title was too defeatist for me to leave it like that

Post by Garoslaw »

*cough*GIMP*cough*
:yap:

Evil_Nazgul0616
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

AlexMdle wrote:Comic sans' main claim to (in)fame is that it's literally the worst font. It's the font you use when you deliberately want to remove all sense of competence from whatever work you do. Nobody takes anything written in comic sans seriously, it died when netscape and annoying flashing gifs did, because people realized how awful it was. No webcomic Ive ever read used it, including the really bad ones - they had dignity.
(Please excuse my language)

Well, I guess that means my comic is totally fucked now.

Even If I did an abrupt font change in the next update it won't help doesn't change the fact that the current 44 comics or so still use the comic sans font. Well, I guess I'll just have to re-do the entire comic from scratch. (On the bright side, I can have references to the current and soon to be old ones as a gag.)

ShadowHunter
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: ۞

Post by ShadowHunter »

it needs a better plot, it mostly looks like random
۞