Madoka Magika Fan-manga project of mine

Show us graphics, music and writing that you've done, whether you're putting it in Fraxy or not.
ShadowSpectre
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Epicness: Mr Self Destruct
Gold Stars: One. But really pretty.

Re: Madoka Magika Fan-manga project of mine

Post by ShadowSpectre »

Your new evil witch shit girls are not Madoka standard. I'm sorry, but the shit that you've come up with is barely a decent tribute to the concept of deals with the devil and their consequences, which I'm informed by both Alex and a number of reviews is a central theme to the series.

Sonic wouldn't blow other people's shit up for the hell of it if he didn't have to. He's a good guy in the series, and of Eggman or Robotnik or whoever the fuck it is wasn't threatening the Earth, freedom or the production of Krispy Kremes, he would find something less destructive and not vandalism-like to do. It's exciting, I don't question that, but it is a necessary task whose excitement is a bonus.

Have you ever heard of fridge logic? It's where an idea hits you as you think about something that probably isn't too implicative. Casual dismemberment is the wrong side of the uncanny valley for the majority of humanity, and of those for whom it isn't, most are generally in prison. It isn't cute. To most people on the planet, it's disturbing. I don't give a shit about how she uses it in battle, I don't care that it is possible to kill her because of some gemstone, or that she can't feel pain. That crap is fucking bizarre. The headless horseman myth was scary because it a) happened when you were helpless and b) the guy had no fucking head. It's not cute. It just. Fucking. Isn't. Join normal people and normal society once you've let go of the idea that being able to take your head off or limbs from your body without dying is cute.

The difference between this and My Life As A Teenage Robot is that in the eyes of the audience, a robot being "dismembered", or rather disassembled, is more acceptable than a human being dismembered. Dismembered Robots fall on a rather happier slope in the uncanny valley that a dismembered human being, magical or not, does not enjoy.
Out for lunch. Return uncertain.

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian
Epicness: Not exactly sure, but perhaps pretty epic.

Post by Armored Entity »

Well, none of you ever said a thing about my idea involving the sleepover they have, where Kyubey makes an unexpected visit, or how Rika is having trouble deciding on what to wish for, which is why she doesn't make a contract in the end. I'm guessing you are okay with those parts I'm adding then, but correct me if I am wrong.

And still I disagree with you about what you said about Jo. I mean Jo's skill of abusing her Semi-Immortality to detach and reattach her limbs at will is still sort of funny and cute. Personally SS, I don't find the Headless Horseman to be all that scary either. Not only that, but in this series, she only does it when she is not around others who don't know her well, as to not appear wierd to them, and only does it on her own when she's only around the company of her friends, or when facing against these Evil Witches.

Also I must mention that this Manga project has no blood in it. The original Maho Shoujo Madoka Magika series had no blood in it (with the exception of the scene where the Witch, Oktavia, had her hand cut off, but that blood looked more like blue paint and wasn't very realistic looking), so I'm doing the same here. Maybe Kolour the Puppet Witch bleeds a little, although her blood looks more like white polyester fiber, due to the nature of this Witch, and also isn't realistic-looking, like with Oktavia sort of. Other than that, no other characters show blood at all in the series, especially Jo (who is already pre-cut and only comes apart thanks to the brackets installed in her body, which I mentioned before). So that makes it much less scary.

And still, I've seen many series where the concept of a character who does this sort of fall apart thing with his or her immortal/semi-immortal body is not scary, and it is somewhat funny, and sometimes even cute too. I understand it can be scary at times, but it all depends on the way it is portrayed, and for Jo, it is not portrayed in the scary manner. I'll list some more examples for you of where it isn't scary, and not ones with Robot-characters too (after what you said about Teenage Robot having it).

-Celty Sturlson in Durarara
-Deadpool (a really good example)
-Bryce Boltzmann in NeverDead (another really good example)
-Nadia Fortune in Skullgirls (especially her)
-Trafalgar Law in One Piece
-Nick, Juliet's ally in Lollipop Chainsaw
-Some of the characters in Decap-Attack
-Jack and Sally in The Nightmare Before Christmas
-The Cheshyre Cat in Alice in Wonderland (when he'd pull off moves such as "standing on his head")
-Certain characters in The Grimm adventures of Billy and Mandy (mostly Grim though)
-Certain monster characters in Scooby Doo (can't remember which ones exactly though)
-Rayman (where his main attack involves using his floating limbs to shoot off his fist like a boomerang at enemies)
-Certain characters in the Mario series (such as Dry Bones and Floro Sapiens)

Those are some prime examples of how this casual dismemberment concept can be rather humorous and sometimes cute, due to it being protrayed in a different manner. When Jo also does it to her Semi-Immortal self in this Manga, it is also protrayed in a similar manner, and that's what makes it not so scary, and instead kind of funny, and cute as well. That's what I was trying to explain to you.

I hope I made my point on that part clear now. Also if any of you want to say more, I strongly suggest reading the stuff I had in those spoiler tags, so that you understand what all is going to be in this when it is done.
Last edited by Armored Entity on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I would like to ask a favor from for anyone who is my friend here.
If someday we meet in person in the near future, and I had recently done anything that would confirm that I had become a Brony (which as of now I am not one), such as if I had posted on a Pony-related fan-site, drawn a Pony-themed artwork, contributed to a Pony fanfic, or anything else along those lines. If I have done anything like that, I want you to punch me in the face without warning. This make sound like I'm joking, but I am absolutely serious about this. Ignore any future statements retracting this if I ever make any. Though if you do, please first confirm that it is me who is doing it, and not some Brony who is posing as me and wants to see me get punched. I do not wish to go down the path of the Bronies, and hopefully those of you reading this will help me so that it stays that way, if god forbid I ever even attempt it.
Thank you.

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian

Post by Armored Entity »

Also I have some more stuff to clarify about this.

I'd like to let you know that this does have a lot of stuff that still involves deals with the devil, but the one main character, Jo, handles it in a different way. I personally thought most of these traits made her more different and awesome than the other Maho Shoujos, and a very unique character too.

First of all, the fact that Jo is actually enjoying her Contract with Kyubey still fits. There's nothing saying that they immediately have to not like it, and Jo is a more optimistic, playful, and happy girl. If something were to happen instead after they make a contract, like she would immmediately be sent to a shadowy realm where she is tortured and suffers for all eternity, it would be different. However, it isn't like that, and this character finds the good in it.

Think of it sort of like how in Ghost Rider, he manages to become a big-time hero after making a deal with Mephistopheles in order to save his girlfriend's life, despite the consequences of it. Jo Ayara is sort of like Ghost Rider in that sense, she manages to make a lot of good come from her Contract with Kyubey, unlike the others who only find a curse, and she looks more to the good points about it.
You can possibly think that in this, Kyubey is thinking to himself when he sees Jo, "Curses, my plan has failed! She hasn't become a Witch soon enough and she's actually enjoying this!"

Second of all, Jo Ayara is also different but fitting in that she doesn't think the only good of the contract is only the free wish, like al the other girls. She thinks the best part is instead, the fact that she now has special abilities, cannot be killed by conventional means, and can no longer feel pain. I mean none of the other girls in the series were happy about that, but having Special Powers and Semi-Immortality is a whole lot to be happy over. That's another thing that makes her more unique and stuff, she's finding all the ways that the Contract with Kyubey is good, and exploiting them so that she stays happy and doesn't become an Evil Witch for a while. After all, all they have to do to avoid that from happening is "be happy" and she's rather good at that most of the time. She's looking to the good things about it, and to her, the good outweighs the bad.

That's a major flaw I noticed in the Contract with Kyubey in the series, that I always thought could've interfered with Kyubey's plans. They only become a Witch once they fall into despair, but until then, they don't. Its not like one of those time/age/evolution based things where after they've lived a certain amount of time as a Maho Shoujo, the curse kicks in and they become a Witch, like it being similar to some sort of disease slowly developing in them that they cannot cure or stop. Instead, there's actually a way for them to prevent it from happening, and would therefore be a massive flaw.

I always thought that would make there a huge problem in it. Like maybe someone might become a Witch like in two weeks or a month after contracting with Kyubey.
But say someone who is very optimistic, happy-go-lucky, and stuff makes a contract. Maybe that person would always look to the bright side of things and perhaps because she's so happy most of the time, it would take like 1-2 years or so before that happens, or perhaps she'd never become a Witch and live her whole life with the benefits of a Maho Shoujo. Then Kyubey's plan would've failed and he'd only be disappointed that it didn't work on that person.
That's what it is with Jo Ayara. She's one of those people whom the contract doesn't work on as well, and it takes years before she becomes one, leaving Kyubey in disappointment that she didn't become a Witch soon enough. This is also what makes Jo a unique character.

Finally, the second main character, Rika Isoni, is often times approached by Kyubey, who wants her to make a contract. Jo considers it, but she also sees all the consequences from it, and she rethinks it a lot, although Kyubey tries to pressure her into it. Also Jo, who is enjoying it, tells Rika to consider making a Contract too, although Jo doesn't pressure or coax Rika into it, but this also makes Rika want to do it more. That part also follows that theme very well, how Rika thinks it might be a good idea, but after seeing some stuff that comes from it, she starts having second thoughts, although the biggest thing about Rika doing it is that she cannot decide on what to wish for.

Do you understand that part now?
If someday we meet in person in the near future, and I had recently done anything that would confirm that I had become a Brony (which as of now I am not one), such as if I had posted on a Pony-related fan-site, drawn a Pony-themed artwork, contributed to a Pony fanfic, or anything else along those lines. If I have done anything like that, I want you to punch me in the face without warning. This make sound like I'm joking, but I am absolutely serious about this. Ignore any future statements retracting this if I ever make any. Though if you do, please first confirm that it is me who is doing it, and not some Brony who is posing as me and wants to see me get punched. I do not wish to go down the path of the Bronies, and hopefully those of you reading this will help me so that it stays that way, if god forbid I ever even attempt it.
Thank you.

ShadowSpectre
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ShadowSpectre »

I understand what you think and I disagree. Unfortunately, by this point, you've shown that you're incapable of conducting proper debate.

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian

Post by Armored Entity »

Well, I have some more progress to show now. These are some rough concept sketches of two of the three Evil Witches they fight, and their minions as well. I figured these could help you visualize it more.
These are just rough sketches though (I normally draw better than this). For the finished product, I need to draw them in that whacked-out, abstract-ish style that the Evil Witches in Madoka Magika are always done in. All of the art styles I plan to use have not been used for any other Witch in Madoka Magika, which is what makes them a bit more original, but still fitting. For now, these sketches should hopefully give you a good idea on what they will look like.

This one is Glacia, the Winter Witch, and her minions, which I decided to call, Gregory and Harriet. She's the first Witch they fight, has much to do with Ice and Snow, and is somewhat disturbing in ways. The character Bio on her is in one of the earlier posts, so read more about her and her minions there. I do not wish to repost it.
For Glacia's unique art style, I was thinking of using an art style similar to the whacked-out style used in this video below. If any of you think you can help me draw Glacia, her minions Gregory and Harriet, and her Witch Barrier in that style, let me know. I am not good at that style, and will need some help.
Her art style should be like in this video -->

The first for this pair of sketches is of Lydia, the Night Witch, and her first Minion type, Signa. The second is of the larger, centipede-like guardian-style minion of her's, Terrance, which protects the entrance to the Boss Chamber of the barrier. Lydia and her minions were a bit harder for me to draw, Jamey helped with the first pic here, but I did the other one myself. She's the second Witch in this series, and is a strange Witch who resembles a ship of some sort, crossed with a bat, and projects weird signals throughout her dark barrier, which appear to mean something but it is too inaudible and distorted to understand right. Also this Witch is also blind, and must rely on a Radar-like sensing ability of hers in order to see.

Out of all three, I find Lydia to be the coolest.

This one is of Lydia and one of her Signas.
And this is of Terrance, the unique, Miniboss-type minion of her Witch Barrier.
For Lydia's unique art style, I was thinking of using an art style similar to this one I've seen used in certain series, such as "Chowder." This style is where the characters have a static repeating pattern on them that does not appear to move with them and stays in place the whole time. I think I might be able to pull off this art style, but I am not sure. I'm willing to accept any help on drawing them in that style instead, if you can lend me some assistance.
Her art style should be like in this video here, but the repeating patterns are different. -->

This one is of Kolour, the Puppet Witch, and her minions, Lalas. She's the third Witch in this series, and lives in a barrier that is like a massive trap-filled factory. Also her bio is in one of the earlier posts.
For Kolour's unique art style, I was thinking of using a medium-quality CGI art style similar to that used in typical Nintendo 64 Games and the like. I dunno how I'll do this, but maybe I can design her in a software such as 3D MAX, and then take screenshots. I might need help with this though, so if any of you can lend me a hand, let me know.
Last edited by Armored Entity on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thank you.

ShadowSpectre
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ShadowSpectre »

Just saying, posting a topic in the "showing off" forum implies that you have something good that you want to boast about.

Someone move this topic, please.

['Showing Off' makes no implications or guarantees of quality, it only implies that the person posting believes that what they're posting is good. -Dabir]

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian

Post by Armored Entity »

This doesn't need to be moved. Other people are posting many topics like this in this section.

Well let's move on shall we. I have a point about this series that I'd like Alexmdle to hear. I'm going to state all the symbolism and themes I am adding, which I don't think I made clear last time, but would now like to point out.

At the end of this series, Jo Ayara finally does become a Witch. When she does, she becomes Quitterie, the Needle Witch. Quitterie is also one of the new official Witches who appears in the Madoka Magika PSP game. So this Fan-manga is essentially going to be like an interpretation of what probably happened in the events that lead up to Quitterie coming into being.

Before you say anything, I'd like you to to read Quitterie's bio right here. http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Quitterie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jo Ayara has a lot to do with Quitterie too. First of all, Jo acts like a Zealot to Kyubey's cause, she thinks of the Contract as a gift rather than a curse, and supports Kyubey's motives. This is just like what it said Quitterie originally was, and still thinks she is doing even as a Witch. In fact, Quitterie Phase 1 wears a cape and a Kyubey Mask, which relates to this. Also just because she thinks of the Contract as a good thing does not mean it is good, and that's what leads to her downfall.

Also Jo's Maho Shoujo weapons include these needles which she uses like throwing daggers, and a large metal staff with a bladed end that sort of resembles a needle. This has to do with that Quitterie is the Needle Witch.

Finally, Jo's special skill to disassemble and reassemble her body at will also plays well with Quitterie. It was said that Quitterie is actually named after Saint Quiteria, a mythological saint, who was beheaded, and after she was, the place where he head landed sprouted a water fountain. That plays into how Jo can make her limbs pop off and on, and she does this for her head the most often.

Next is the one Witch, Glacia. Glacia in this series, is hinted at originally being a tomboyish girl who originally thought she was better than everyone else, when she really wasn't, and wasn't too smart, and enjoyed the Ice and snow very much.

Glacia's theme being Winter, Ice, and snow plays into how she likes Ice and snow a ton. Also, the fact that Glacia is covered by an armored outer shell that has to be destroyed to reveal her true, vulnerable, form is symbolic too. The outer shell symbolizes what she believed herself to be (strong and mightier than most others), while the true form symbolizes what she truly was (weaker, and showing cowardice). In fact, Glacia's nature is of "Illusory Superiority," which means a false belief in that you are better than most others.

Also I decided to change the way she "dies" instead of just exploding like the other Witches do, to something more symbolic. Instead at the part where she is dying, her other shell comes off and she appears to go out of control, flying around erratically. Then her Ice Powers appear to "reactivate" but now turn against her, as for she then gets impaled by one of her own ice blades. It would be like this hard social shell becomes to hard to carry for the Witch, and the witch is emulating this very painful moment of her former self in her very last moment. Then after that, she appears to turn to petrified ice, falls to the ground, and melts away, along with her Witch Barrier. Then as usual, after she and the barrier completely dissolves, the Grief Seed appears.

And her minions being her former victims plays well into this too. Since all of them were previously those killed by her, now turned into these Ice Sculpture-like things, they serve almost like "bragging rights" for the Witch. As in the Witch looks at how many of them there are and thinks "I've triumphed over this many individuals, that certainly proves that I'm the strongest," and further extends her false belief of superiority. And the way her minions can only move when they are not in someone's line of sight fits with how they are like frozen solid and ice sculpture-like and stuff, and also allows Glacia to finish someone off herself when she wants too, just by looking at them (as for Glacia's line of sight also prevents them from moving).

Kolour, the Puppet Witch, also is symbolic in ways. From her features, it is hinted that Kolour probably enjoyed making dolls and such when she was still a normal girl. The Witch constantly makes dolls and appliances in her factory-like barrier, with assistance from her minions, and the minions are actually her dolls brought to life by her new powers. So essentially the Witch is now forced to constantly do this, but however, due to the clumsiness and incompetence of the minions, they don't do as good of a job most of the time, and she keeps being frustrated by failures.

It is also hinted that she knew someone near and dear to her, who got critically injured, or perhaps killed in a factory incident, which is what the dangerous machinery that even the minions get harmed in symbolizes. Perhaps when she made a contract with Kyubey, she wished for this person to be healed back to normal, since she loved him or her so much.
But later on, after seeing the unpleasant consequences of making a Contract with Kyubey, she builds up some kind of hate for that person, due to the fact that he/she was the core of the wish. This hate and the truth that she is loving that person may be the real trigger for her transformation into the Witch. The traps and hazards of the factory in the barrier are like an traumata of the Witch's former self after the accident of her loved one. She got oversensitive for any kind of danger, constantly sees her own creations meet a similar fate (for the minions often times get harmed by the factory machinery, due to their clumsiness and the dangers of the barrier) and the Witch fears that she might end up the same way.
Also the Witch's Patches, which are her weak spots, have large scars underneath them once they are blown off. The scars sort of symbolize some sort of emotional scars she must've had from all of this, and the patches are sort of symbolizing how she tried to roughly do away with them, but could never completely remove them.

See now, this is how these Witches still fit in with the theme.

So as you can see, there is still plenty of Symbolism here. Alex should read this, and see how it still does fit into the Maho Shoujo Madoka Magika theme.
Thank you.

AlexMdle
Administrator
Administrator
Epicness: micro skills

Post by AlexMdle »

At the end of this series, Jo Ayara finally does become a Witch. When she does, she becomes Quitterie, the Needle Witch. Quitterie is also one of the new official Witches who appears in the Madoka Magika PSP game. So this Fan-manga is essentially going to be like an interpretation of what probably happened in the events that lead up to Quitterie coming into being.
NO.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

THIS IS LIKE SELF-INSERTION WITHIN AN SELF-INSERTION AND A BASTARDIZATION OF A CANON CHARACTER AS WELL.

So as you can see, there is still plenty of Symbolism here. Alex should read this, and see how it still does fit into the Maho Shoujo Madoka Magika theme.
IT DOES NOT.

IT'S TERRIBLE.
Now under new management.

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian

Post by Armored Entity »

Okay, after some hard work, I now have reference sheets and other pics to show of the various fan-characters in this. These will hopefully help you visualize some of the stuff I have planned in my Fan-Manga. Progress on it is still coming along, though rather slowly. Sorry that these took so long, but they will help in it too.

I hope you like these characters that will be in it. I find both of them to be very cute and cuddly, especially Jo.

This is a reference sheet of Rika Isoni, the one girl who comes along on the various adventures with the other Maho Shoujos, so she can experience it for herself as well. She hasn't made a contract yet, but she starts to consider it after Kyubey and Jo start asking her about it.
This is the first reference sheet on Jo Ayara. She's a Maho Shoujo who has already made a contract with Kyubey, and is somewhat of a Veteran. Here you can see what she looks like, as well as her weapons and her Soul Gem.
Second reference sheet for Jo. This is her using her unique, "Strategic Body Disassembly" trick, done through specialized brackets she installed in herself, and through abuse of the fact that like other Maho Shoujos, she can't die unless her Soul Gem is destroyed. After all, if chopping her to pieces will no longer kill her, and only destruction of her Soul Gem will, then why not take advantage of it?
I really like the one I put there of Kyouko Sakura cuddling Jo's head, while her body stands behind her. It looks exceptionally cute there, and shows exactly how this sort of thing can be really cutesy too.
Third reference sheet for Jo. This is of Jo's other powers and weapons. Here you can see how her Silver Magician's Staff works, her Needle Blades, and her Magic Energy Blasts, which are her main powers. Her weapons are mostly Needle-based, as you can see.
One last pic, which I might use in my Fan-Manga, though with a different BG. This is not really a reference sheet though.
This is Jo hanging around the Mitakihara Town factory district, with her head detached and her carrying it around by pinching up her hair around her maid headband to use like a handle. Sort of demonstrates how much she enjoys this part about her Soul Gem and the contract with Kyubey, and more reasons why she finds the Contract with Kyubey to be a gift, rather than a Curse.

Well I hope these help you better visualize some of the Fan-Characters that are going to be in this. Tell me what you think of them, and anything else you'd like to say about them.
Thank you.

Armored Entity
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian

Post by Armored Entity »

Hyphen wrote:Great work Meta. I'm sure Alex will love this.
Who said I was asking Alex? I was also showing this for anyone else who is interested in this project, such as Garo for example.
Thank you.