The Last Gate, again.

Show us graphics, music and writing that you've done, whether you're putting it in Fraxy or not.
ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian
Gold Stars: 21

The Last Gate, again.

Post by ZarroTsu »

THE LAST GATE

What is it?

The Last Gate is a clunky old MORPG based off the free software package for Astonia V2. It is a pretty complex game, all things considered, as every single point of experience can be spent to make your character as unique as possible, barring the little bit of a learning hump new people need to slog through confusingly.

Beyond this hump is a surprisingly addictive and cooperative game, the problem being that in the past I've lacked the motivation or players to really keep adding things beyond a few. Unlike other V2 servers, I took the route of overhauling the game and remaking everything from scratch, for better or for worse, so getting veteran players on the server is a difficult task since a majority of the old-world's players were whiny clepto 12 year olds.

How do I play?

There is a Manual included in a folder of the same name, and it, along with a(n outdated) reference image will explain the function of the game, as well as some tips to play by. The game will also introduce you when you create your first character, and give you the name of a nearby NPC to speak with to get you started.

What does it look like?

Oh Jegus you made my eyes throw up a little.

This is another problem in acquiring players in that the interface is very much glued to the screen at all times. That said, I recently fixed the view window a bit and rearranged things to make the game's presentation a little more tolerable for the new player hump, seen here:

Alright, I'll play your silly game. What's in it for me?

The interface (Which is a single graphic, so you can customize it yourself if you really want!) is only one thing of a few upcoming graphical changes. Due to the visual style in the view window, many item graphics try to reflect this style, which heavily hinders my ability to add new weapons and the like, since I have to bend over backwards to try to match the game's graphical style, which is rather bad to begin with. And to answer your next question, replacing a good 60,000 sprites? Not fun, and not easily or entirely feasible. Sorry!

But tell you what -- since I will get around to developing new graphics for existing items, I'll cut you a deal. If after learning about the game you want to create and propose any weapons, armor, or accessory ideas, I'll take full consideration for them. You can even present your own sprites for them, and I'll see what I can do to add it to the game. Note that, however, any super overpowered ideas may not see the light of day until I get to a much later point in development! But maybe I'll give you one as a bonus for creating it. If you're able to wield it.

So without further adieu, you can downloading the game here: http://thelastgate.srb2.org/download/thelastgate.rar

And the D3D Windower (so you can run the game in windowed mode) here: http://thelastgate.srb2.org/download/d3windower.rar

Have fun, and mayest thou pass the last gate!

Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member
Gold Stars: 4

Re: The Last Gate, again.

Post by Garoslaw »

Good 'ol retro style MMO's always cheered my eye a bit.

Although I lost my hand to them...
:yap:

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

Changing up the interface again...
How much better is that? (No minimap unfortunately)

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

Hyphen wrote:I don't like the magenta square in the middle of the screen.
You're a twit.

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member
Gold Stars: 4

Post by Garoslaw »

oh hey i can actually find myself in that interface now

good work, keep it up
:yap:

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

New client version again, this one mandatory due to the way it reads from the server.
Image taken from the manual folder, now that that's updated too.

ZarroTsu
Excelling Fraxian
Excelling Fraxian

Post by ZarroTsu »

Client updated again to fix inventory problems.

Halico
Fraxy God
Fraxy God
Epicness: Is an idiot also genius asdfsadf

Post by Halico »

remind me to redownload sooner or later today
Whee.

The Doctor
Administrator
Administrator
Epicness: sqrt(-1)
Gold Stars: 7

Post by The Doctor »

I tried this the first time you posted it. I suppose I'll try it again now.

Edit:
Couldn't establish connection.
Looking at my post history makes me cringe hardcore.