PC issue

Talk about whatever - video games, sports, doesn't matter as long as it's not in another section.
Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member
Gold Stars: 4

PC issue

Post by Garoslaw »

I've had issues with my PC lately. I know that this isn't some fancy PC-tech forum but I wanted to give it a shot either way.

I cannot turn on my PC at all lately, and I don't know what's the source of the problem. It's most certainly not a problem with the cable, as I have tried at least three. The only way to turn it on is when I unplug the power adapter and then plug it in again, at the very moment when it briefly turns out to drain out the rest of the power from the AC adapter. What's even more bizzare is that if I fail to turn it on that way (which I assume isn't the greatest way) it miraculously boots up by itself after 5 or so minutes. It also sometimes gives me a "BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR" and then restores it with a backup BIOS, from which after it turns off again and refuses to turn on unless I wait 5 minutes.

I was considering buying a new PC before because this one uses an old kind of bus (PCI Express 2.0), but nów I thinks it wants to be replaced.
:yap:

[][][][]
Fraxy God
Fraxy God
Epicness: Never enough.

Re: PC issue

Post by [][][][] »

Hmm. Strange crap happens with these computers, but this one is something I don't have prior experience with.

Given that the temporary solution is with the AC adapter, though, I suspect that the adapter might be part of the problem. Try replacing that, and see what might happen. Though with the power drain, it may be also the power supply unit of the computer itself. Check that as well; there's been quite a number of incidents in our shop wherein it was just the power supply that was acting up.

Might as well try checking the motherboard while at it. The BIOS ROM chip might be faulty, and it may only be a matter of time before the backup fails as well. There might also be a problem with the POST; it shouldn't take 5 minutes or so to set itself up.

When you say it 'turns off', do you mean 'turns off completely; no fans, no light, no nothing', or 'turns off all output, but still has light and fans on'? Because if it is the second one, the BIOS is indeed faulty, but if it's the first one, it may be the BIOS, the power supply, the adapter, or God knows what that is trying to take down your computer.

Godspeed, brother, hope this might help. Check back once you've got some news to share.

EDIT: Some more information.

The failure to boot up initially and the sudden miraculous boot up are probably both power errors. It's either the power is not getting as fast to the PC as it should be, or it fires it off in spikes. Either ways, that's going to fry your systems sooner or later.

I'm not sure about these guesses, but it's all I have from late-night searching technical forums (read: searching right now). Godspeed, brother.
There was once something here,
but it's now gone.

Garoslaw
VIP Member
VIP Member
Gold Stars: 4

Re: PC issue

Post by Garoslaw »

I am assuming the issue with the BIOS was the constant reconnecting to the power supply, whereas I hear the specific sound of the jump, somewhat like a dull muffled zap.

I should also mention that the motherboard has 4 LED's that show 4 phases(which I assume show phases of booting up) , and none are lit when. It is turned off and plugged to a power source. All four light up when it boots up
When it turns off, it turns off completely. I'm thinking it's either the AC Adapter and/or the motherboard going bonkers. I'm going to take the PC to another guy to pinpoint the issue so I would also see what to replace. But I'm also looking for a new PC, because the current one has a PCI-Express 2.0 bus and I can't really make a good upgrade.

Thanks for your help by the way!
:yap: