Quickboss VIII(?): Relatively fast boss edition

Users can vote on current battles and contests here. Finished battles are archived.
TheBlueEcho
VIP Member
VIP Member
Epicness: So Epic
Gold Stars: 1

Re: Quickboss VIII(?): Relatively fast boss edition

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Sweet! Best to everybody!

SnipeHeart
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Your mom
Gold Stars: 1

Post by SnipeHeart »

Is Ebo (Or someone else) going to give their thoughts on every boss like in the past? Just curious.

ShadowHunter
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: ۞

Post by ShadowHunter »

۞

Aquamancia
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian
Epicness: *hands out Epic Jar* Pay up.
Gold Stars: 42

Post by Aquamancia »

Speaking of bosses that need videos...
Fraxy Creations and Mirrors
Creations Thread
Twitter

Just as Japlanned.

i was such a jerk on here

TBD
Fraxy Addict
Fraxy Addict
Epicness: MEELCH

Post by TBD »

You uh, killed it too fast.

Here's what it should be like when you fight it, in terms of how it was balanced. (minus the hilarious incompetence, and lack of sound. And the fact the video likely won't work the first time.)
:yap:
yappa yappa yappa yappa

Xeilumardrox
Epicness: Contradictory
Gold Stars: 5

Post by Xeilumardrox »

Moved to voting section for judging purposes as the entries are all in already.
Current Fraxy Projects:
MoSF XVIII - Desire, FraxyHQ Try Project

Annoyance Points: 0/5 *RESET*

Formerly known as Vortexreaper and Scytheradrox...

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.

Ex-Rumia
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Getting there.
Gold Stars: 0

Post by Ex-Rumia »

Inb4thisnevergetsjudged
Formerly Haku1201.
Current Fraxy Projects:
F-Gradius
Project SH

Now known as a compulsive core abuser.

DC Universe Persona Names
Hero: Marietta Durge
Villian: Voivouire

Ex-Rumia
Elite Fraxian
Elite Fraxian
Epicness: Getting there.
Gold Stars: 0

Post by Ex-Rumia »

Though if that's the case, then everyone wins. So it isn't that bad.
Formerly Haku1201.
Current Fraxy Projects:
F-Gradius
Project SH

Now known as a compulsive core abuser.

DC Universe Persona Names
Hero: Marietta Durge
Villian: Voivouire

Xeilumardrox
Epicness: Contradictory
Gold Stars: 5

Post by Xeilumardrox »

I was going to post this up before, but decided to do a bit better than just "brief judging." And thus didn't. But this was me skimming through the bosses. I also didn't take into much consideration for any balance issues in that judgement, but I was starting to change my mind in that part for my more "proper" judgement of the bosses.
Xeilumardrox (me) wrote:I do not have much time, so I'll list my quick and brief initial thoughts on each boss.

NOTE: I'll be more lenient on balance issues for judging bosses in a quick boss contest, as there's less time to balance things out (although if the balance issue is very blatant, then I'll have to point it out).

Xenoangelic Sentinel - Quite a simple boss. It's not a bad boss, but there's nothing worthy to note about it either. The difficulty is relatively easy in the first form, but the attacks are not really worth noting. The extra form is nothing worthy of noting either-just the boss spinning charge effectors at a very face pace and spraying vulcan bullets and needles.

The Invader - It's worth nothing that this boss is closer to a classic Fraxy boss than any of the other bosses entered into this Quick Boss contest. That being said, there is nothing to note about it. It's quite too simple of a boss to note anything about it. It's not a bad creation (although rather lacking if you were to make it a boss in a shmup), but it's nothing special either.

VALIANCE 20-HC - While this boss has a good physical design and it has some interesting aesthetics in terms of attacks, I have to say the fact the boss shoots projectiles that block the player's bullet from reaching the boss for basically half its attacks is a very notable problem, and a bit too notable for me to just disregard despite my note. Also the energy egg spam attack that spams random bullet types out from each energy eggs feels very pointless-it both blocks the player's bullets and half the shrapnels released energy eggs will not even reach anywhere near the bottom of the screen.

The Planet - That's not a planet The physical design for this for this boss is pretty good, and the boss is pretty decent as a Fraxy Quick Boss creation, but there are a few things I have to point out with it. In the first phase, the powerballs from the rails attack is far more difficult than any of the other attacks in that phase. I will not judge on it too harshly though (see NOTE from above). Since in the video, I can tell that it's suppose to be for vertical shooter mode, I'll also note that in the second phase, it spends its time at the sides and bottom of the screen in comparison to the time it spends at the top-which means the player will spend more time dodging than shooting (and dodging at the same time). Given the HP of this phase, this kinda stretches the phase far too much in my personal opinion. The fact that the boss is able to transition from the first form to the second form via discarding a bunch of parts and moving a few parts around while still maintaining a relatively good design is a good thing to note for this boss in my opinion.

Circle of Binding - A pretty decent boss by Fraxy quick boss standards. Not much to note about it, although in my opinion, it can do with a bit less HP and a slightly larger hitbox. I would also suggest to maybe put some warnings around for certain attacks, but I'll disregard it (see NOTE from above regarding balance issues).

Spatium Draconis - Excellent physical design. One thing I have to point out right away is how ungodly fast the very first attack is without showing the trajectories of the blades. I know I said I'm being more lenient on balance for the quick boss contest, but the speed and lack of trajectory warning is a bit too much for me to just disregard. That being said, this boss is a nice (abeit very difficult) survival-type boss. I also like the that fact that its given a theme of energy wall boxes, and keeps to it by using them to signify warnings or to conjure its attacks through.

Seal of Infernus - It has a good physical design and as a boss, it's decent in its right, but it feels lacking. It has a good use of effectors for its entrance, and I like the fact that it has a theme that basically almost all its attack parts can be temporarily destroyed, but most of the attacks it uses just feel lacking, and so it just feels "meh" when mostly all it does it open a part of itself to reveal small cores that can attack for a duration of time for every attack. Granted, it makes sense for it to have certain weapons to be hidden in certain sections, but at the same time, the way it utilizes its attack makes me feel like it lacks variety. It also sometimes uses an attack that's not aimed anywhere near the player at all (e.x. the bullet spray). The boss comes with a player weapon that's not blatantly unbalanced, so that's a positive thing to note.

0V-3R-7RD - First form feels like a re-edit of Clocktrap The boss is okay-ish, but I really do not have much to say on this boss, because there nothing to note about it. Overall a pretty simple boss, but that's pretty much it.

BigUgly - This boss is a pretty good boss - a good physical design, difficulty stays relatively even for all its attacks, etc. As a TRY, it comes with also player weapons to help in fighting this boss. I'd suggest lower the HP a bit and giving a notable warning for the laser in the third phase/attack though, but that's mostly balance issues so I'll disregard it (see NOTE from above).

Eredar Orbit - Uh, I think you placed the boss upside-down in the TRY. Or was I suppose to fight it at the bottom of the screen? Nonetheless, I had a fight with the boss and I like the detail of adding explosions and sparks on the boss while its HP goes down. Gives the fight more "feels" if you know what I mean. I do want to note that in one of the attacks, the aim at the player seems a bit off, but I will not take that into consideration for judging as the issue very trivial. It felt like a decent boss, but nothing really too outstanding though.

Daedalus Kuro - Excellent physical design, and relatively smooth and fluent physical movements, this is a good and pretty short boss fight. I do not have much else to say.

Night and Day - It's a good and long dual boss, although quite difficult. There is a fairly good usage of effectors, and the attacks were quite aesthetically pleasing. There may be some balance issues in terms of difficulty, but as I noted from above, I disregard most of it as it wasn't all that unbalanced. The random teleporting laser thing in Eclipse should be fixed though.

Plutojin - A very aesthetically pleasing boss in many ways, and also a very difficult and long boss. The effectors used for this boss were impressive, and the attacks were well done in terms of aesethetics. The difficulty and balance is questionable, but considering that you basically no-deathed it yourself, it is indeed possible. Although there are few attacks in which there could have been a warning (ex. first attack of the second phase, the ion ring spit can be rather surprising if you do not expect it) or a better warning (y'know, that laser storm? A giant red arrow totally gives people the indication to go there), and Pluto Fall feels like it has just a bit too much HP in my opinion. However, as I stated in my NOTE, I will not care too much about the balance issues due to time constraint reasons.

Charlie - Notably the only 320x240 boss made for both the contest and in a loong while. I like how this boss gets progressively more difficult after each run while still being possible. Also, nice skull art. I personally do not have time right now to try and reach the secret form, so I'll hold off on judging it completely.

TOP 3

To be added later.

Bear in mind that these are just my brief and initial thoughts on the bosses in this contest.
EDIT: Ignore the "teleportation laser" comment for Night and Day.
Current Fraxy Projects:
MoSF XVIII - Desire, FraxyHQ Try Project

Annoyance Points: 0/5 *RESET*

Formerly known as Vortexreaper and Scytheradrox...

This signature has been signed by the End of Infinity.

Aquamancia
Advanced Fraxian
Advanced Fraxian
Epicness: *hands out Epic Jar* Pay up.
Gold Stars: 42

Post by Aquamancia »

Xeilumardrox wrote:Eredar Orbit - Uh, I think you placed the boss upside-down in the TRY. Or was I suppose to fight it at the bottom of the screen?
IIRC, 4box said in the shoutbox that it was intentional.
Fraxy Creations and Mirrors
Creations Thread
Twitter

Just as Japlanned.

i was such a jerk on here